Hi mamas, I’m Lindsey Shipley, RN, IBCLC, mom of 2 and the creator/founder of Lactation Link, and I’m here today to talk about the best nursing bras! Enjoy!
We have compiled our readers’ top nursing bra questions and are answering them today! We are thrilled to have Bravado Designs sponsoring this post.
“Why do I need a nursing bra?”
- A nursing bra can make nursing more convenient as it unclips from below the shoulder for breast access. Some moms use conventional bras for nursing but often find that their bras become stretched out. Some moms also like using a conventional bra that clips in the front while nursing. While this often does the trick, it leaves the non-nursing side unsupported. The best nursing bras like the Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra give moms an easy and convenient way to nurse.
“How many nursing bras do I need?”
- Many moms like to have 2-3 bras to switch out with throughout the week. I also recommend getting a nursing cami as well. Nursing camis have helped moms nurse in public discreetly by pulling up your shirt without showing any tummy. The Body Silk Seamless Nursing Cami is perfect for this.
“What are the best nursing bras?”
- The best nursing bras are the one that feel the most comfortable for you. Bravado Designs has several kinds of nursing bras that meet the needs of any nursing mom. The Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra is perfect for everyday, the Ballet bra is perfect for the first few days and at night. The Body Silk Seamless Nursing Cami is perfect for moms who want fewer layers and coverage while nursing.
“How do I get the right size nursing bra?”
- With chest size changing so much during pregnancy and directly after birth, many moms find it difficult to know which bra size would work best. I usually recommend to moms that they purchase a sleep nursing bra or nursing cami (often more soft and forgiving in size) for the first couple of weeks. Then, when they feel their size has regulated, purchasing a nursing bra like the Bravado Original. If the sleep bra encourages you to stay in more to cuddle your wee newborn, then my job is complete! 😉
“Do I need a pumping bra too?”
- If you plan on pumping multiple times throughout the day, having a pumping routine that is convenient and mess-free will make your pumping sessions much easier! Check out Bravado’s nursing bra accessory Clip & Pump, it attaches to any nursing bra or nursing cami.
The Clip & Pump Nursing Bra Accessory pulls over your nursing bra to make pumping easier! After unclipping your nursing bra, you clip in the nursing bra accessory and start your pump! You can also see the video for a great illustration.
This is a great opportunity to pump hands-free so you can work (or eat!) while you pump . This also allows you to incorporate hands-on pumping, which can increase your pumping output.
“How do I stay comfortable wearing a bra 24/7?”
- I could have written this question! I’m not a big fan of underwire and have thrown out many uncomfortable bras! I have found that nursing bras/tanks are necessary to keep nursing pads in place. Thankfully, nursing bras are often more comfortable and forgiving in fabric than conventional bras. Nursing camis are also another great option for the bra-averse. And who says a comfortable sleep nursing bra can only be worn for sleeping?
“Do nursing bras help or hurt engorgement/clogged ducts?”
- Any bra with underwire is not recommended while dealing with clogged ducts or engorgement. Listen to your body, if your bra feels restrictive, try a different size or go without for a time. Most of the time, a well-fitting bra will not affect clogged ducts or engorgement. Engorgement often happens in the first few days and I recommend a comfy sleep nursing bra or nursing cami for this time. They are the least restrictive and will give your growing breasts support without discomfort. Luckily, the Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra is one of the best nursing bras and gives excellent support without wires!
“How do I clean my nursing bra w/o wearing out the fabric?”
- Most bras are best washed by hand or on the delicate cycle. Hang drying your bra will lengthen the life of the bra. Probably the best thing you can do for it is not washing it every day (unless soiled). You can get around that by wearing nursing pads. Switch out your nursing pads often and you save your bra from extra washings!
I hope this post has helped answer your nursing bra questions! Comment below if you have anymore. Share this post if you found it helpful!
Thanks for stopping by,
Lindsey Shipley, RN, IBCLC