Hi there! It’s Megan from @muncher_cruncher I am so excited to be a part of wellness Wednesday, talking about something that I deal with quite a bit! Many women who have just had a baby want to know how to get back into working out. I’ve worked with many clients going through this process, so hopefully I can offer some insight.
1. Listen to your doctor. If you’ve been given stipulations of what you shouldn’t do…FOLLOW them. Your Doc is actually examining your body, & will tell you if you’re healed & ready. If you’re feeling ready before you’re cleared, talk to them about it. If there is bleeding, it’s usually a sign your body is still healing, & you should wait to exercise.
2. Start slow. Walking is an AWESOME way to go. It’s low impact and allows you to move without over-doing it. You’ll gradually be able to increase what you can do. Your joints may feel “loose” due to the hormone relaxin that softens the ligaments & joints during childbirth. If you feel unstable, you could end up with an injury; so, start slow. Yoga, stretching, & low impact exercise will be your best friend at first!
3. Once you feel an increase in stamina & strength, incorporate body weight exercises. Squats, lunges, pushups, TRX exercises, & physioball exercises are all great ways to build strength back. Your timeline of getting back into a regular workout routine might be different than others, so don’t compare yourself. Some women will have a gap in their abdomen known as Diastasis Recti, which can take time to close. Be careful with what abdominal work you do until that heals.
4. Don’t let baby become a lingering excuse for inactivity. Listen to your body, BUT know that exercise will increase your energy, helping you to be a better mom. You’ll also feel better about yourself, which is better for everyone. 🙂
5. Find a workout buddy! You’ll be more accountable & motivated if you have a buddy. Starting may feel impossible, but hang in there. Be patient with your body. It just did something pretty amazing! You’ll be back in your routine before you know it.
Megan Smith is the owner of MC Fit. She shares daily workout videos and tips on her instagram @muncher_cruncher. She’s based in UT and does in-person personal training for her clients. She also does online personal training and appts can be set by contacting her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ve created a free e-mail course to help you get breastfeeding started on the right foot! Click the image below for more info.