We are often asked for advice on the best breast pump and pump accessories, but many times the cost for an electric breast pump makes it out of reach for mamas on a budget. But did you know you can actually get one without spending a dime? Most insurance companies cover the cost of electric breast pumps! We want all moms to feel like they can meet their breastfeeding goals and many times pumping can help with that!
There are lots of reasons women choose to express and save their breastmilk – some are returning to work, some are dealing with unexpected complications or prematurity, others are just preparing for some mother-baby separation time. Whatever the reason, we are here to help! Expressing breastmilk through a combination of hand expression and using a breast pump can help maintain a good milk supply even when mom and baby are separated.
As a labor and delivery RN and lactation specialist I know moms have a lot of questions when it comes to pumping —
“When should I start?”
“What’s the best time to pump?”
“What if I get more milk out of one side than the other?”
“How long is the milk good for?”
“What is the best breast pump to use?”
And so many more! I answer all of these questions in my Pumping and Storing Breastmilk video class. It’s a blueprint for how to maximize your milk output with each session and also how to safely store, thaw, and deliver breastmilk to your infant. After you’ve taken that class, it’s a great idea to get your breast pump ordered. Many companies allow you to order your pump as soon as the second trimester.
How It Works
Through the Affordable Care Act, breastfeeding supplies are covered by most insurance plans. So, in most cases, you can get a double electric breast pump from your insurance for free! Even though it’s covered, some women don’t know they have that benefit or how to order it. We’ve done the homework for you so check out the steps below on how to get your free pump from your insurance!
Steps to Get Your Free Pump
- Visit 1Natural Way. They’ve made the process super simple and have a wide selection of really great pumping accessories.
- Click ‘Get Started Now’. Have your insurance card ready so you can upload a picture of it after filling out the form.
- 1Natural Way will determine your eligibility–meaning, they will find out if your insurance works with them. They will also determine if your insurance requires a co-pay for your pump (most don’t).
- You will then receive an email where you can select your breast pump style options.
- 1Natural Way will obtain a prescription for the pump on your behalf. This is another great thing about 1Natural Way, they will obtain the prescription for you!
- The pump ships to your door!
I’ve created a free e-mail course to help you get breastfeeding started on the right foot! Click the image below for more info.
Thanks for coming by,
Lindsey Shipley, RN, IBCLC